We have all been there. When our mothers would chase us with a plate full of bitter melon. We never liked it but we had it anyway. There are always these strange food items that we don’t exactly like a lot but they are surprisingly good for our health.
In our conversation with Nutritionist and Lifestyle Educator Karishma Chawla we learned about the 10 types of food that we hate but are actually high on nutritious value.
What are they and why are they beneficial?
- Mushrooms: They are one of the best anti-inflammatory foods. They contain immune enhancing compounds and are good source of protein and Vitamin B.
- Broccoli: It is a rich source of antioxidant. It is believed in interfering in healthy thyroid functioning, commonly called as a goitrogen. The best way to increase its antioxidant properties is to cut it and let it sit for sometime before cooking.
- Tomatoes : These are good sources of lycopene, and are excellent for fighting heart disease. They are also great for skin. Cooking tomatoes in olive oil increases their bioavailability.
- Avocados: This fruit is very rich in fat, a substantial percentage being MUFA which is considered as a good fat. It helps to decrease the cholesterol and triglycerides, and increases the good cholesterol. It is a good source of potassium which keeps blood pressure levels in check.
- Peanut butter: These contain good fats called MUF. One can have this in moderate amounts and it’s even better for you if made without sugar and at home! It can be used as spread in sandwiches and consumed in salads.
- Turnips : These are a good source of Vitamin C, folic acid, potassium, magnesium, and fiber. They are a good substitute to potatoes and can be baked, mash, as a veggie or cut them into French fries.
- Spinach : Rich in vitamin C, A, calcium, iron, lutein, and fiber, these help to prevent heart disease, cataracts, and muscle degeneration.
- Eggplant : This purple coloured vegetable contains compounds that are anti-inflammatory. It may protect the heart and brain from damage and promotes healthy cognition and memory.
- Eggs : A great source of complete protein and an excellent fat loss snack. Adequate protein is imperative for lean body mass and hair, skin and nails.
- Bitter gourd: It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals, iron, magnesium, and vitamins like A and C. It contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and helps to reduce blood sugar levels.
Here’s a quick takeaway for you that talks about the benefits of the food items mentioned above:
Food is information and medicine. It determines the quality of your blood, cells, tissues and organs. It has therapeutic value heals the body and the mind, alike.
We understand the importance of nutrition to your body and to help you with the right kind of information, we are working with experts to bring to you suitable content. Read more of our expert-led articles on nutrition, right here.